Introducing the 8 Spectrum SKILLZ
1. Awareness – This skill helps kids develop awareness of their environment, their place in that environment, how to better control their bodies, and how to better manage time.
2. Detailing – Spectrum kids can have amazing detailing in specific areas, and this skill helps them use that quality to develop great martial arts technique, and as part of a team.
3. Observing – The Observing skill helps kids on the Spectrum learn how to pay attention to the things and people around them in a meaningful way while also developing their active memory.
4. Listening – This skill is broken into four sections that help kids develop great listening skills: active listening, empathetic listening, critical listening, and informational listening.
5. Communication – This skill is designed to help kids effectively convey what they are feeling. We do this by developing eye contact, using body language, practicing communication with a partner, and when appropriate, using voice control and modulation to express how they are feeling.
6. Retention – The retention skill helps the kids develop long term memory, working memory, and short term retention of information that they might otherwise consider “less important”.
7. Durability – Sometimes kids on the autism spectrum also experience physical challenges. The Durability skill helps kids develop their physical strength and the mental discipline to follow through on difficult tasks.
8. Determination – This skill helps with the emotional and intellectual challenges kids face when they are put under pressure by helping them develop a positive mindset while also guiding them to success as they push through the objective challenges of a martial arts class.
They tattle on others without accepting responsibility for their own actions.
Our GOALS for each student:
They have a hard time coping with losses and setbacks and may not demonstrate good sportsmanship.
They don’t remember what you or their teachers tell them and struggle with paying attention.
We take Martial Arts training to a whole new level!
YOUR CHILD WILL GROW WITH EVERY CLASS!
Our Spectrum SKILLZ program works with kids to teach them how to accept responsibility for their actions, to manage negative emotions, and to pay attention to instructions and advice from their instructors. Our program teaches kids Awareness, Communication, Retention, and Determination in a way that allows them to build confidence. These skills translate from our martial arts studio to school – and to your home.
BUILD FINE MOTOR SKILLS
Older kids have better control than young ones, but they still may struggle with precision and accuracy.
The Spectrum SKILLZ program builds on earlier martial arts training to help kids gain control of their bodies and build strength while improving their balance.
Kids are easily distracted and may have difficult focusing on tasks and situations.
We teach kids to tune out distractions and focus on one thing at a time – something that’s increasingly challenging in today’s electronic world.
PERSISTANCE & DETERMINATION
Kids develop persistence and the determination to see their goals through to the end.
When they’re learning a new skill, kids may be afraid or give up easily instead of risking failure.
Spectrum SKILLZ students learn to conquer their fears and persist even when they feel like giving up on a particular challenge or assignment.
RESPECT & SELF CONTROL
Students learn how to disagree politely and to resolve disputes respectfully.
Many kids struggle with learning how to express disagreement without being rude or angry.
Our Spectrum SKILLZ program teaches kids to speak up without disrupting others, and to figure out ways to resolve their challenges within the confines of the program’s structure.
Amazing people, great teachers